Tree Surgery Combination Arborist Course
The Tree Surgery Combination Course is our 4- week course for those who are looking to start a new career in Tree Surgery / Arboriculture. Or for those who currently work within the industry and would like to obtain the training and relevant tickets.
All our courses are run on weekdays, with Assessments on Saturdays or during the week following the training. This varies and depends on Assessor’s availability. We run courses every month during the year.
Our course provides a successful candidate with the following qualifications:
- NPTC Unit 201 (CS30) – Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting
- NPTC Unit 202 (CS31) – Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm in diameter
- NPTC Unit 203 (CS38) – Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue
- NPTC Unit 204 (CS39) – Using a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness
- NPTC Qualification (222). – Use of Woodchippers
- LANTRA Cert – Basic Tree Inspection (BTI)
The NPTC Assessments for 201/202 (Chainsaw and Felling units) and 203/204 (Climbing and aerial cutting units) are undertaken by an independent NPTC assessor. The cost of these assessments is fully covered by your course fees. We arrange the assessments within a few days of the end of the felling course. However, you may choose to defer the climbing assessments until after course for the following reasons:
- Passing the chainsaw maintenance, cross-cutting and felling (CS30/31) NPTC units 201/202 is a pre-requisite for the CS39 Aerial Cutting training and assessment (NPTC Unit 204), if a candidate does not pass CS30 or CS31, we will do our best to book the retake of CS30 or CS31 before the CS39 training commences.
- If a candidate does not pass CS38 – NPTC Units 203 – we will rebook the assessment and give the candidate the option of using CS39 training days to recap.
- Climbing is a skill that can take some time to become proficient at, and consequently, a candidate who takes the time to practice and hone his skills is much more likely to pass. Because the assessment involves undertaking two simulated rescues, the speed of movement in the tree is important and this takes practice.
We sometimes recommend candidates delay the assessments to gain more experience. Working within the industry and climbing for a few months (which is perfectly legal as long as they are with a qualified climber) and then book their relevant climbing assessment.
NPTC is a national organisation and the climber can then either take the assessment locally or come back to us and take it here in Kent.
If we have sufficient numbers we can often arrange a 1-day refresher on the day before the Assessment. If a candidate has a specific reason for deferring the assessment, (for example because they are going abroad) it is not usually a problem to arrange the assessment for a later date. Deferring your assessment can be arranged, however, this does need to be organised in advance as we book the Assessors months in advance and will require another candidate to take your place.
Cost and Booking
Course fee: £3100.00 pp (including VAT & Assessments)
NPTC Assessments are taken the next day (where possible) following the training.
Candidates must supply their own PPE
Instructors hire out chainsaws, felling equipment and climbing kits should you need to hire one for the duration of your course. Please contact the office to book this ahead of your course.