Tree Surgery Combination Arborist Course
The Tree Surgery Combination Course is our 4- week course for the those who are looking to start a new career in Tree Surgery / Arboriculture. Or for those who currently work within the industry and would like to obtain the training and relevant tickets.
Our course provides a successful candidate with the following qualifications:
- NPTC Unit 201/202 (CS30) – Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting
- NPTC Unit 203 (CS31) – Felling Trees up to 380mm diameter
- NPTC Unit 206/306 (CS38) – Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue
- NPTC Unit 308 (CS39) – Using a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness
- LANTRA Cert. – Use of Woodchippers
- LANTRA Cert. – Use of Stumpgrinders
- LANTRA Cert – Basic Tree Inspection (BTI)
- EFAW – Emergency First Aid at Work
The NPTC Assessments for 201/202 & 203 (Chainsaw & Felling units) and 206/306 & 308 (Climbing units) are undertaken by an independent assessor. The cost of these assessments is fully covered by your course fees. We arrange the assessments for the felling units within a few days of the end of the felling course. However, you can choose to defer the climbing assessments until after course for the following reasons:
- Passing the felling units is a pre-condition of taking the CS39 assessment, so if a candidate did not pass CS30 or CS31, they would have booked and paid for a test they couldn’t take.
- After 5 continuous days of climbing a significant number of candidates are sufficiently tired that their performance on a test would be significantly impaired.
- Climbing is a skill which it can take some time to become proficient at, and consequently a candidate who takes the time to practice and hone his skills is much more likely to pass. Because the assessment involves undertaking two simulated rescues, speed of movement in the tree is important.
What we sometimes recommend is for candidates to get a job in the industry and climb for a few months (which is perfectly legal as long as they are with a qualified climber) and then book their relevant climbing assessment. NPTC is a national organisation and the climber can then either take the exam locally, or come back to us and take it here in Kent. If we have sufficient numbers we can often arrange a 1 day refresher on the previous day. If a candidate has a specific reason for deferring the assessment, (for example because they are going abroad) it is not usually a problem to arrange the assessment for a later date. This does need to be organised in advance as we book the Assessors months in advance & require another candidate to take your place.
Cost and Booking
Course fee: £2900.00 pp (including VAT)
NPTC Assessments are taken the next day (where possible) following the training.